Wednesday 4 February 2009

Subject vs. Location

The technique is not something I want to spend too much time on. That's why I have been doing some research about that back in December and January. My new challenge was to find a good subject and location for my video projection. I find it very important that the subject, the location and the mapping really come together.

For my subject I started to ask myself 'what fascinates me?'. I came up with some ideas like mental patients, my city Utrecht and everything that's around us but what we don't seem to notice. But the subject I automatically got carried away with, were insects. It's something I have been fascinated about since I was little. Insects have a negative connotation when it comes to human perception. However, when one looks a bit closer it lives in an other world that is both rather positive and fascinating. This enables both humans and insects to live harmoniously. Generally speaking, humans prefer to keep all sorts of insects outside rather than mix in their indoor setting. With time, humans also tend to desert these locations, leaving room for the insects to now make it their new living environment. Insects have many interesting features, for example their defense and offense mechanisms which can make them look funny when you enlarge them or not be seen at all. Playing with the size is something I also might use in my projection.



So with all that back in my mind, I started to think of locations that might interest me. There is a term used for these kind of locations and that's called Lost PLaces. A lot of people take pictures of these places and share them online like this person for example lost-places. An other interesting website for possible locations that someone tipped me is forten. I think that the location is very important. Not just the part I'm going to project on but also the surrounding. It's like a theater piece that is not indoors but uses the outside location and surrounding as part of their decor.

No comments:

Post a Comment